The CEO on campus event took place at university of Ilorin, Kwara. The event was staged to bring students mind back to entrepreneurship as a lifestyle. See what you need to know about SMEDAN. The Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN) was created vide the Small and Medium Scale Industries Development Agency (Establishment) Act 2003 and charged with the responsibility for promoting and facilitating the development programmes in the small and medium scale industries sub-sector.
• MSMEs are the engines of growth in most economies.
• In Nigeria, we have 17,284,671 Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) accounting for almost 96% of businesses.
• MSMEs employ approximately 32 million Nigerians.
• The MOST important sub-sector with the potential to create jobs and improve the lives of the average Nigerian.
• Embedding the Enterprise Culture in our youths
Read also: Top 15 business ideas In Nigeria.
VISION of SMEDAN
The vision of the Agency is to establish a structured and efficient micro, small and medium enterprises sector that will enhance sustainable economic development of Nigeria.
MISSION of SMEDAN
To facilitate the access of micro, small and medium entrepreneurs/investors to all the resources required for their development.
Keynote MANDATE of SMEDAN at Unilorin CEO on Campus Summit
Initiating and articulating ideas for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) policy thrusts.
Serving as a vanguard agency and focal point for rural industrialization, poverty alleviation and eradication; technology acquisition and adaptation, job creation and sustainable livelihood.
Promoting and facilitating development programmes, instruments and support services to accelerate development, modernisation, networking and linkage of micro, small and medium enterprises;
Mobilising internal and external resources, including technical assistance for micro, small and medium enterprises, their support institutions; trade associations, and non-governmental organizations;
Overseeing, co-ordinating and monitoring development in the micro, small and medium enterprises sub-sector;
Designing, packaging and promoting cottage and micro, small and medium industrial projects;
Providing industrial extension services to micro, small and medium enterprises, fabricators of machinery and beneficiaries of micro-credit;
Services provided by SMEDAN
- Information provision
• Raw material,
• Government regulations/legal requirements
3.Networking/Clustering to promote competitiveness
4. Advocacy/improvement in operating environment in partnership with others (public-private, public-public)
5. Facilitation of access to loan
The top Entrepreneurs of our time includes
- Bill Gates- Microsoft
- Aliko Dangote- Dongote groups
- Larry Page-Google
- Mark Zuckerberg- Face book
HOW DO YOU BECOME AN ENTREPRENEUR!
“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending” Carl Bard
How to access loan for small SMALL BUSINESSES
• Start up finance …
– Personal Savings, Coop, Family & Friends
– Grants (youwin), Schemes etc
– Crowd funding (indiegogo)
– Bank of industry (BOI)
– CBN (220 Billion intervention fund)
• THINK BIG, START SMALL AND START NOW.